world news

Recent Studies Determine Cancer-Causing Chemicals Discovered In 45% Of Tap Water Nationwide!

Cousins! A federal survey has recently determined that nearly half of the water from faucets around the country may carry one or more PFAS, also known as “forever chemicals,”!!

According to PEOPLE, results from an U.S. Geological Survey were released earlier this month that determined approximately 45% of tap water in the United States is estimated to have one or more types of per-and poly-fluoroalkyl substances.

The United States Enviornment Protection Agency warns that the chemicals can inflict serious health issues. Not only are PFAs linked to cancer it can also cause kidney failure, fetal complications, autoimmune disorders, fertility issues and much more.

Officials state that there is about a 75% chance of PFAS being found in rural areas and about a 25% chance in urban areas, per People. High exposure areas were reported in the Great Plains, Great Lakes, Eastern Seaboard, and Central/Southern California regions.

“USGS scientists tested water collected directly from people’s kitchen sinks across the nation, providing the most comprehensive study to date on PFAS in tap water from both private wells and public supplies,” stated USGS research hydrologist Kelly Smalling, the study’s lead author reports the outlet.

“The study estimates that at least one type of PFAS – of those that were monitored – could be present in nearly half of the tap water in the U.S. Furthermore, PFAS concentrations were similar between public supplies and private wells.”

It has been stated that public water supply is monitored by the EPA and that homeowners test their own water supply.

“If the average American is worried about the quality of their drinking water, they can use this and other studies to get informed, evaluate their own [personal] risk and reach out to their local health officials about testing or treatment,” Smalling told NPR.

Officials advise anyone seeking to have their water tested to contact their local and state officials for instructions as testing is the only way to confirm the presence of PFAS .

Cousins, what are your thoughts on this?

Leave a Reply