2022 news

Three American Tourists Deceased Following Speculation Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In The Bahamas; Sandals Calls the Incident “Isolated”

-Avier Wanjou-Brass-


A Sandals resort in the Bahamas announced they would install carbon monoxide detectors in all their rooms after three American tourists died from an unknown illness in an “isolated incident.” 

The incident occurred at the Sandals Emerald Bay resort in Exuma in the month of May. Although the toxicology report and autopsies have not been released, according to local media in the Bahamas, all three died from carbon monoxide poisoning, as reported by CBS News

Sandals said in a statement, “Despite initial speculation, Bahamian authorities have concluded the cause was an isolated incident in one standalone structure that housed two individual guest rooms and was in no way linked to the resort’s air conditioning system, food and beverage service, landscaping services or foul play.” 

The statement continues, “Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of our guests and team members is and will always be paramount. It is for this reason that we have taken additional measures such as engaging environmental safety experts for a comprehensive review of all systems across the resort.”

Paul Rolle, the Bahamas Police commissioner, identified the three deceased Americans as Michael Phillips, 68, wife Robbie Phillips, 65, of Tennessee, and Vincent Paul Chiarella, 64, of Florida. Chiarella’s wife, Donnis, fell ill but recovered shortly after being airlifted to a Florida Hospital. 

Currently, a lab in Philadelphia is working to get the toxicology reports to help authorities figure out what happened amongst the American tourists. 

Authorities do not suspect foul play, but CBS News medical contributor Dr. David Agus says, “It’s certainly very irregular.” 

And we have to agree! It is just weird how this happened. We are praying for the families involved in this tragic event. 

Leave a Reply