Cousins! A grade-school student is being rightfully honored as a hero after she acted quickly to save a fellow classmate’s life as they choked on their lunch!
Fourth grader 9 year old Essie Collier of Racine’s Fratt Elementary School says she noticed her classmate chocking while the rest of the students were eating their lunch. The students are said to have been eating in a classroom because the lunchroom area had been cleared out for residents to vote, reports NBC News.
“I just saw that she was holding her neck, and I rushed up there as fast as I can,” said Essie.
A teacher identified as Samantha Bradshaw says she saw Essie respond quickly by wrapping her arms around the student and immediately began performing the Heimlich. “I have never seen a student react in that way before.”
She explains that the student’s airway was cleared, and began to breathe fine.
Essie says that she learned the Heimlich maneuver when she was only 7 years old from a YouTube video and never forgot it.
According to NBC News, Racine Unified School Board has plans of honoring Essie at a board meeting later this month.